An SLA is a Sustainability focussed, interactive outdoor learning area, or “Sustainable Learning Area”.
Outdoor Learning areas habitat creation, permaculture & water wise gardening to create child friendly, engaging, sustainable spaces that foster a care for the natural world.
These playful ‘learning landscapes’ teach children about nature, soils, rainfall, habitat and food production.
– Creates break out spaces for a whole class, small group and individual learning spaces out in the fresh air.
– Learn through doing with hands on learning opportunities.
– Connects with Sustainability as a cross curricular priority in the syllabus.
– Allows for interdisciplinary learning by displaying a link between subjects.
– Provide tools for learning – Stingless bee hive, nest boxes, rain gauges, scales, etc.
– Creates much needed urban habitat for Native species, beneficial insects and pollinators